Friday, May 22, 2009

A Dinner with Middle-aged Couples

Today is the birthday of my boss. I had lunch and dinner at their house. I was supposed to go home immediately after work but my boss invited my co-teachers and I for dinner. So we went.

I noticed something at the dinner table. There were my boss and her husband, two of my co-teachers with their respective husbands, and me. They were talking about stuff only married people could relate to. They were also talking about things/events that happened during their younger years (they are all in their 40's). While me, a mid-20's single lady, just sat, ate, and listened.

Throughout the dinner, I was silently wishing that their attention would not focus on me since I stuck out like a sore thumb. If that happened, they would surely try to set me up again with random guys. I totally hate matchmaking. But I guess I didn't wish so hard because they mentioned this certain guy they have been wanting me to meet since February. I just smirked and looked the other way. I'm totally not interested.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate their company. They are actually fun to be with even with the existence of a generation gap. But I wish they'd be more sensitive. It's not like they didn't go through young adulthood.

I miss having dinner with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment